I have surround sound speakers with the speaker wires going up through the wall. The wire is fixed and doesn't slide in and out the wall.

Now it's time to tidy it up!

  • How much loose wire should I leave?
  • How can I tidy up the loose wire?

enter image description here enter image description here enter image description here
Click for larger view

  • 1
    Its too late now but you could have mounted the speaker so the wire passed through the hole in the mount.
    – Craig
    Apr 3, 2013 at 14:27
  • 1
    @Craig maybe not.. pretty easy to fish the wire through there using a 12" piece of 14 ga solid wire or even piece of coat hanger.. just make a "c" with a radius that matches the 2 holes, tape the speaker wire on, pull back through. I little spackle or patching compound will make the hole disappear
    – HerrBag
    Apr 3, 2013 at 14:34
  • Even if the wires are fixed in the wall it is still possible to push the extra wire through the hole so that the slack bundle is in the wall instead of hanging on the outside.
    – Michael Karas
    Apr 3, 2013 at 15:03

1 Answer 1


My first concern here is safety and code compliance. Ordinary speaker wire is not in-wall-rated.

You need to use CL2 or better, CMR rated cable for in wall use..

CL2R is short for Class 2 Riser Site detailing low voltage cable options

enter image description here Link to speaker wire

As far as neatness goes, installing a termination panel or a "brush" wall plate would help

enter image description here

Decora style insert which would mount to a low voltage old work ring enter image description here

  • wow, I'd never heard of a "brush" wall plate. great advice -- thanks.
    – Craig
    Apr 3, 2013 at 14:29
  • The brush wall plates are great. Alternatively you could get one that has speaker wire clamps to make the speaker easily detachable.
    – Grant
    Apr 3, 2013 at 22:10

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.