Context: Installing new Milgard vinyl windows and planning to install a drip cap. The windows have a 1" setback flange for stucco in addition of the flange to be placed against the framing. I am not clear on the shape of drip cap to use. See sketch.


  • Does a new vinyl window with two flanges need a drip cap?

A drip cap would block the stucco to be placed behind the stucco flange.

  • Or does the drip cap have to follow the shape of the channel?

Top of window flanges

enter image description here

  • Maybe this helps: wixsys.com/images/StuccoInst.pdf What does the window install manual say?
    – P2000
    Jan 6, 2023 at 5:16
  • 1
    Does this answer your question? Windows Flashing - Stucco 1" setback - Do I need a drip cap?
    – FreeMan
    Jan 6, 2023 at 13:42
  • 1
    Voting to close as this is a duplicate of your other question from a day or two ago. This annotated drawing is very helpful, but should have been edited into the other question instead of being posted in a duplicate question.
    – FreeMan
    Jan 6, 2023 at 13:43
  • 1
    @FreeMan I suggest the other duplicate be closed. This one has better illustration and an answer. (I can't VTC the other one because somehow this one does not show up when attempting to search for the duplicate under "reasons")
    – P2000
    Jan 6, 2023 at 14:25
  • 1
    @Max when you edit a post it percolates to the top of the home page, and first well rated answers do get rewarded with a medal once the post reaches high numbers of views. What matters most though is that the a single point of discussion is highly beneficial for you and the community.
    – P2000
    Jan 6, 2023 at 18:03

1 Answer 1


In most practices in the southeast, a drip cap is not used on that type of window. However, I have seen where the stucco guys have cut off the channel for stucco to install lath with a metal channel.

Neither method has been noted to be problematic. I believe it is a choice.

  • 1
    What happens to any water that makes it's way into the square opening between the stucco flange and the nailing flange? Is there a way for to drain or escape?
    – SteveSh
    Jan 6, 2023 at 17:45
  • This is exactly why I would like to have a drip cap. That area seems to be water tight, that said the documentation does not say so. Also, If the area is perfectly horizontal I dont see how the water would drain and escape.
    – Max
    Jan 6, 2023 at 17:58
  • @SteveSh yeah I don't understand either, unless there are weeping holes. That's a cavity if drip capped. Perhaps OP can include a link to the window.
    – P2000
    Jan 6, 2023 at 18:05
  • Links to window details: milgard.com/sites/default/files/technical-resources/files/…
    – Max
    Jan 6, 2023 at 18:11

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.