I’m trying to fix up an old bathroom. The home was built in 1960. There’s a metal mounting stud coming out of the wall. In other bathrooms it supports a toothbrush / glass holder. What is this type of mount called? enter image description here

enter image description here

The reverse of the image seems to read "Reliable". enter image description here

  • The "where can I find" portion of your question has been removed as off-topic for this site.
    – MTA
    Jan 5, 2023 at 2:06
  • it's kind of hard to see can you make it bigger and increase the illumination?
    – Jasen
    Jan 5, 2023 at 2:21
  • It appears that there's an impression of a manufacturer name in the... stuff... around it. What does that actually say, and have you done an internet search on that? Even if the manufacturer is out of business, you may be able to find info on them and their products, browse an old catalogue (remember paper catalogues? People have them, collect them, scan them to PDF & post them online). Once you find that, you'll know what it's called.
    – FreeMan
    Jan 5, 2023 at 12:40
  • Bertucce? Berludge?
    – jay613
    Jan 5, 2023 at 13:45
  • Maybe jumping ahead, but you may want to contemplate asking "how do I remove this without damaging the tile". It's easy to find retro accessories to match any period. They are affordable. They won't be old and rusty from the get-go, like your authentic replacements will. And they will be designed for modern bars of soap, tooth brushes, etc that are larger and don't fit in the authentic period accessories.
    – jay613
    Jan 5, 2023 at 13:47

1 Answer 1


I would call that a type of hanger bolt. Usually there are machine threads where yours shows just a knurled stub, and wood screw threads on the other end so it can be screwed into wood framing in the wall. You don't say how the cup holder is attached to the bolt. Setscrew? Press fit into the back of the holder? It looks like at some point a heaping wad of plumbers putty was jammed in behind the holder, probably to correct looseness.

  • Thanks very much for identifying the Hanger Bolt. I really appreciate it. I've started searching for accessories for this type of Hanger Bolt but haven't found any thus far. I'll keep looking. Again, many thanks. Jan 6, 2023 at 20:21

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.