We had an old exhaust fan that vented out through the kitchen wall. We removed it and drywalled over the hole, but are unsure how to cover the hole in the exterior siding. Is there a cover for this or do we need to re-side the area?

  • What kind of siding?
    – Compro01
    Mar 26, 2013 at 18:21
  • 1
    People experienced with whatever siding you have are typically skilled in placing patches that are fairly unobtrusive, and often almost invisible.
    – bcworkz
    Mar 26, 2013 at 19:20

1 Answer 1


Perhaps after insulation and sealing with foam, you could put a "dummy" vent cover over the now closed hole. Just seal it like it was real and you avoid the siding match problem. Fill the flapper with foam and it will be impervious to critters and weather.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.