I am running power from my main panel in my basement to a sub-panel in my attached garage. At some point I need to transition from the 2-2-2-4 SER aluminum cable being run perpendicular through my unfinished basement ceiling joists into pvc conduit that feeds up into the sub-panel. While my SER cable was still horizontal, I was going to use a sch 40 pvc type c conduit body for the transition. What kind of strain relief fitting should I look for where the SER cable enters the conduit body through the non-threaded port? Or should I use something else at the end of the conduit stub to make the transition instead of the type c conduit body?

  • 2
    I take it here that the conduit length is simply being used to shield the cable from mechanical damage? Dec 25, 2022 at 22:18
  • Yes, just from the basement cable run through the wall and up to the bottom of the subpanel.
    – user149104
    Dec 26, 2022 at 5:37

1 Answer 1


The correct fitting for this job is a bell end

When using PVC conduit to protect an adequately supported cable from mechanical damage, the fitting you want to use at the end isn't a conduit body, but a bell end fitting of the appropriate size for your conduit. This provides a clean terminus for your conduit that protects the cable from being abraded on its edge.

  • So something that clamps around the SER cable as a strain relief where it enters the conduit isn't needed?
    – user149104
    Dec 26, 2022 at 17:54
  • @user149104 -- as far as I can tell, it is not -- do let me know if your local AHJ disagrees, I'd like to know what Code section they're pointing at to require it! Dec 26, 2022 at 20:09

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.