I’ve done a couple of light switches in this house but I’m not sure how to proceed with this one. I want to replace the left switch, which I’ve already removed, with an Eve smart light switch (shown in second photo). It requires a neutral wire. The left switch is the only one that controls an exterior light. The right switch controls a hallway light. Any advice or insight?
- Carefully cut the black wire in the middle of the bare copper.
- Connect the black wire from the new switch to the (now 2, was 1) black wires with a wire nut.
- Connect the red wire from the new switch to the red wire with a wire nut.
- Add the white wire from the switch to the existing white wires that are in a wire nut in the back of the box. You may need a new wire nut.
- The green/yellow wire is ground. You don't actually need the ground wire as the metal yoke of the switch will ground automatically with the metal box.