We bought some used furniture to put up on the wall. Yesterday we tried to put it up but it became apparent that we couldn’t tighten the screw on one of the hangers to bring the cupboard close to the wall. Looking at the hanger in question we noticed that it looked different.

What the hanger looks like (What the hangers look like)

The bit for holding the screw is not attached to the metal plate and therefore the tightening of the screw doesn’t have the desired the result. We tried reattaching (twisting it in place) it but are not sure how to do it and it didn’t work.

The issue (The hanger that is broken (?))

A normal one (What the hanger usually looks like)

Is it actually possible to fix this?

More pictures: enter image description here (The part that came loose) enter image description here (The metal plate seen from the back, attached to the furniture) enter image description here (The slot that the part is usually attached to)

  • You call it hanger ! hanger for what function ?
    – Traveler
    Dec 15, 2022 at 8:06
  • 1
    To hang it on the wall. Dec 15, 2022 at 8:17
  • perhaps replace with something reliable like french cleats
    – Jasen
    Dec 15, 2022 at 10:40
  • 1
    Is is possible to non-destructively remove the hanger from the back of the cabinet? i.e. is it screwed in somehow, or is it a press/nail in fit? If so, removing the hanger will allow you to get a better look at the "broken" looking part. It appears that it might just screw back in, but it could also be part of a weld/press-fit that has actually broken and, therefore, would need to be replaced. From the angles shown here, though, it's really hard to tell.
    – FreeMan
    Dec 15, 2022 at 12:39
  • @Jasen, I'd recon this is, more or less, a metal version of a French cleat. I'll bet that hook on top holds on to a metal rail to be installed on the wall.
    – FreeMan
    Dec 15, 2022 at 12:40

2 Answers 2


In my estimation, this ring (identified by the green arrow) was supposed to be squeezed around the metal of the bracket to hold it in place.

enter image description here

If you cannot find a Rivnut with the correct threading as suggested by HandyHowie, you might be able to hold it in place with some epoxy.

It appears that you might be able to put this assembly back into the hanger then attempt to bang that metal ring back down into place with a hammer. A small socket, just slightly larger diameter than the nut itself, placed around the ring would give you something to hit to apply even force around the ring to bend it back down (and keep your fingers out of the way of the hammer).

Then, as you epoxy it in place, you'll want to make sure you keep the center clear to ensure that there is still a place for that screw to go. Otherwise, you'll have to drill the epoxy out.

  • Hey! Yes, that was my current thinking as well right now. Was about to upload another picture trying to explain that idea based on the other answer. Dec 15, 2022 at 13:06
  • What kind of epoxy would be good? Dec 15, 2022 at 13:06
  • 1
    The back of the hanger states 65 Kg, so something that claims it'll support at least that much weight. Most convenience/home improvement center store epoxy sold in the States would hold that much or more. Some claim that you can use them to repair your engine block with them, so they'll take a lot of pressure in addition to heat. I would look into HandyHowie's suggestion first.
    – FreeMan
    Dec 15, 2022 at 13:10
  • Thanks, I will look into that. Dec 15, 2022 at 13:15

That looks like a type of Rivnut that has pulled out of the hole it was pressed into.

enter image description here

You can get tools to crimp Rivnuts in place, like this one -

enter image description here

You would need to ensure that the Rivnut thread matched the screw that is currently in the hanger.

You may however be able to reinsert the existing 'Rivnut' and use a hammer to re-rivet the existing nut back into the hole (the hanger would need to be removed from the furniture first). If possible I would maybe even try adding some solder to the joint to give it some extra strength.

Following your latest comments, I would try supporting the threaded end of the 'Rivnut' on something solid, then gently tap the splayed end with the ball end of an engineers hammer to rivet it back in place.

  • I actually slots into the hole quite easily. The problem is that it comes out again easily. I think the hammer and "re-rivet" might still be a good idea though to keep it in place. I have the suspicion right now that the metal on the end of the rivit just needs to be bend back in place so that it stays in place. Hard to describe in a comment so I will add another picture. Dec 15, 2022 at 13:02
  • 1
    I would try supporting the threaded end of the 'Rivnut' on something solid, then gently tap the splayed end with the ball end of an engineers hammer to rivet it back in place.
    – HandyHowie
    Dec 15, 2022 at 13:19
  • Funny, you're recommending basically following my suggestion first, while I'm recommending following your suggestion first! Sounds like we're both hedging our bets. :)
    – FreeMan
    Dec 15, 2022 at 13:36
  • @FreeMan Yes, just read your answer. Ideally replacing with a new Rivnut would be my first try, since I have them on hand. Reusing the existing part will be good if it can take being re-bent without bits snapping off. I think I would also try soldering for more strength, but again, I have soldering equipment available.
    – HandyHowie
    Dec 15, 2022 at 13:54
  • You say "solder". I think "electronics" and "that stuff is not for mechanical strength, but for electrical continuity". Is there a different type of solder you're thinking about? Welding would certainly do the trick, but not everyone has a welder or easy/quick access to someone who does.
    – FreeMan
    Dec 15, 2022 at 14:00

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.