My wife clipped the side of the garage door with her mirror as she was backing out of the garage this morning.

Broken door trim - wide angle

Broken door trim - closeup

I'm not handy enough to fix it myself, so I'm going to call someone.

First, what sort of repair shop do I call? The broken piece isn't actually part of the garage door or its mechanisms, so would I necessarily have to call a place that works on garage doors?

Second, is there a better name for the broken part than just "garage door trim"?

  • Yeah, blame the wife! There are lots of YouTube videos on how to replace the trim. You'll probably have to replace ALL the trim if you want it to match. If you're lucky, you can find a the exact type/color and just replace the one section. Nov 21, 2022 at 16:45
  • Honestly, you could replace this yourself with a hand saw and a screwdriver. The stuff if made out of plastic (cuts very easily) and is either screwed or nailed into place. If yours is nailed, pry it off (add a pry bar to the tool collection), then screw the new stuff back on. Harbor Freight (or equivalent el-cheapo tool store) tools are more than sufficient for this project.
    – FreeMan
    Nov 21, 2022 at 18:00

1 Answer 1


That part is Garage door opening side trim. All garage door repair companies would have it. However it is also available at the big box stores and online. A handyman should be able to replace that quickly and cheaper than a Garage door Company.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.