I'm trying to tighten up a loose shower door handle. However, I'm having trouble removing the set screw and can't figure out what type of driver I need. I've tried flat head, philips and allen, but nothing seems to turn the fastener.

It's also an incredibly awkward place to get a good look at. What types of set screws are common for shower door handles

enter image description here

  • 2
    I think you just need a hook wrench (there's no set screw)
    – Jasen
    Commented Nov 12, 2022 at 19:23
  • 1
    I think that's a divot that you can hook to unscrew. Maybe try a hex key for leverage. Commented Nov 12, 2022 at 19:24
  • 1
    Or plastic jawed pliers... Commented Nov 12, 2022 at 19:25
  • Was able to twist it with a hex key, thanks y'all!
    – James
    Commented Nov 13, 2022 at 4:23

1 Answer 1


Is there another hole on the other side? not required, but they are often in pairs. This looks like a spanner (or pin spanner or hook spanner) bolt, where that hole is just where the wrench hooks in to rotate the part; not an Allen wrench (or Robertson or Torx) setscrew at all. I don't see any sign of a setscrew from the image.

Pin or hook spanner image from canadianhobbymetalworkers.com

Given the use, that would make sense - a setscrew would probably corrode to uselessness in short order in that application.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.