I'm trying to adjust the torque of my door adjuster. The usual place where the hex key is inserted seems to be blocked by some kind of cap:

enter image description here

What gives - am I barking up the wrong tree?

  • 2
    Have you looked at the other end of the hinge? The pic shows what looks like the end of the pin.
    – RMDman
    Nov 7, 2022 at 11:30
  • I take it your door has spring hinges, not a thing on top with an arm? Nov 7, 2022 at 12:42
  • @ThreePhaseEel Correct, not the type often found in offices/commercial buildings.
    – JHN
    Nov 7, 2022 at 13:33
  • @RMDman I can check when I get home - this photo is what it looks like from above, near the pin and holes.
    – JHN
    Nov 7, 2022 at 13:33

1 Answer 1


Either the bottom of the hinge pin has the opening for the hex (Allen) wrench to work, or there are multiple holes visible in the slot in the side where the "holding pin" goes. If the latter is the case, you will need a longer pin to insert in one of the holes that allows to rotate the pin in the direction you need to remove the holding pin, and set it over to another hole. "Walk it" over to the needed amount of holes to make it act the way you need without over tightening it.

Here is a short "how-to" on your type of hinge. Courtesy Doorware.com

The tightening rod they refer to can be an Allen wrench that will fit in the adjustment holes. Use the biggest one you can find, the spring is pretty strong and will bend the smaller size Allen wrenches.

  • Thanks - first, I checked the bottom but unfortunately it has no opening for the Allen wrench (it looks the same from the above).
    – JHN
    Nov 13, 2022 at 4:00
  • Second, yes there are multiple holes on the side, for the holding pin. I understand I need to take the holding pin out and put it in another hole. Could you elaborate more on how I can do the rotation (as I understand, the hex key is supposed to be help me do that)?
    – JHN
    Nov 13, 2022 at 4:03
  • I will edit the answer to clarify
    – Jack
    Nov 13, 2022 at 7:34
  • Thanks, now I think my door closer is one of those older types needing a tension tool...
    – JHN
    Nov 14, 2022 at 1:34
  • 1
    If you don't already have a set, you may be able to borrow a set for the few minutes you will need to adjust the hinges. Here is a link to show you a set of wrenches. harborfreight.com/…
    – Jack
    Nov 17, 2022 at 4:30

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge that you have read and understand our privacy policy and code of conduct.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.