I have a new kitchen hood with a vent duct slightly larger than the existing one and I need to "roundly" enlarge the hole.

What would be the best power tool(s) and accessories to be used for this work?



  • How large does the hole have to be? What are the walls made of?
    – JACK
    Commented Nov 4, 2022 at 23:37
  • the whole needs to be enlarged by 3 mm (1/8 inch) all around. The walls are made of hollow brick with a layer of .. mortar/concrete? at the inner side Commented Nov 4, 2022 at 23:39
  • 3
    Large hammer and chisel and just pick the hole larger
    – Chris
    Commented Nov 5, 2022 at 0:06
  • @Chris: I did something similar, I used a flat head screwdriver with a hammer and chiseled delicately away but thought to myself to ask on this site for opinions though. Commented Nov 5, 2022 at 3:10
  • 1
    you can pre-drill in front of large chunks to control splitting and make it easier to chisel. if you don't care about the bit you can drill the whole thing out like a dentist...
    – dandavis
    Commented Nov 5, 2022 at 9:58

2 Answers 2


You don't even need a power tool. Just one of those rough files is all you need.

Hope this helps.

Take care.

coarse files

  • 2
    Be sure to get a rasp designed for stone… the wood ones won’t last long. Commented Nov 5, 2022 at 11:06

1/8" isn't much to enlarge.

I'd probably go with a 4.5" angle grinder with a masonry grinding disc something with a large kerf.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.