I had a wall-mounted television in my old house. While taking down the TV, in preparation to move it to my new house, I saw that it had utilized wall anchors. This is not a reusable wall anchor, so I need to purchase new ones to mount the TV in my new house.

I'm quite familiar with wall anchors for pointy screws and have access to hundreds of them. But these anchors for the TV look different. A non-pointy screw (for lack of a better term) with washers went into the anchor.

Question: what is the correct term for this type of anchor? I need the term to search online so I can purchase replacement anchors.

enter image description here enter image description here

  • 2
    For something heavy or expensive/don't want to fall down, I prefer to screw into studs, maybe using plywood if mounts smaller than to hit two studs.
    – crip659
    Oct 28, 2022 at 21:03
  • 2
    Those are "Toggler" toggle bolts.
    – negacao
    Oct 28, 2022 at 21:07
  • non-pointy screw .. that is a bolt
    – jsotola
    Oct 28, 2022 at 23:19
  • 2
    I think you were lucky the plasterboard anchors didn't fail and drop your appliance. Its likely a newer wall would be thinner and therefore weaker too. Plasterboard anchors are not suitable for heavy things like TVs.
    – Criggie
    Oct 29, 2022 at 8:19

1 Answer 1


Forget anchors. Use screws into studs. Same type of screws as for cabinets. Much stronger than anchors, toggle bolts, etc. If direct mount to studs is not an option, consider mounting plywood to studs and use that as a base for the mounting bracket.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.