enter image description here We are winterizing our sprinkler system.Does anyone know the name of this valve? Were looking for a replacement. Thanks

  • 1
    No, you took the valve off. It might be a backflow preventer
    – Traveler
    Oct 14, 2022 at 23:10
  • How was it hooked up? Try taking pictures before dismantling everything.
    – JACK
    Oct 14, 2022 at 23:27
  • Looks like a plain old valve. One end is to connect to standard threaded brass/iron pipe, while the other end is to connect to a flex pipe/hose. The thing on the side is where a screwdriver or an (absent) knob fits to turn things on/off. It is odd, however, to have something so small in a sprinkler system.
    – Hot Licks
    Oct 15, 2022 at 2:27
  • Depending on the style of valve mechanism it's either a "ball valve" or a "needle valve".
    – Hot Licks
    Oct 15, 2022 at 2:31
  • Seems to be a ball valve from a vacuum breaker/backflow preventer. It's probably the valve that you hook the air compressor up to blow out/winterize the system.
    – HoneyDo
    Oct 15, 2022 at 4:01

1 Answer 1


Compression (bottom) to flare (top). Doesn't really matter what type it is, just its fittings is your concern, and their size : yours says 1/8".

Shown: 1/4" Flare x 1/4" MIPS Straight Needle Valve

enter image description here


  • If possible, ditch flare asap. Like, if you have to redo the end on the pipe too, then just switch to all compression. Doing flares sucks. The only place it still belongs these days is in RVs (compression doesn't like vibrations).
    – Mazura
    Oct 15, 2022 at 17:32

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.