My dehumidifier fills up too quickly so I need to attach a hose to it that drains outside.

The exterior wall is stucco.

What I do need for drilling the hole (drill bit types, etc.) and for sealing around the hose?

1 Answer 1


A carbide hole saw for the stucco. And that will work for the interior (drywall I presume?) as well. Always be aware that there could be pipes and/or wires in the wall where you are drilling. Seal around the pipes with a high quality latex caulk.

  • Fortunately there isn't an interior wall in my case. Just bare studs on the inside. But I'm sure others with this question won't have such an unusable setup. Commented Oct 15, 2022 at 7:01
  • Depending on the size of the hole, a normal masonry drill bit and either a hammer drill (slow!) or rotary hammer drill (fast, but most people don’t need to own one) will work. If using a drill bit, drill from the outside toward the interior to prevent unsightly blowout. (The holesaw doesn’t have this problem to the same extent, but it wouldn’t hurt.) Commented Oct 15, 2022 at 13:41

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.