Contractor drilled a 4 inch hole through the center of a load bearing wood beam. The beam is made up of 3 2x8 sistered together. How can I fix his mistake.

  • 4
    You don't. You get the contractor to fix or replace the beam. Take pictures and start to get ready to send them to your local boards/building inspectors, if contractor does not repair at his expense.
    – crip659
    Oct 11, 2022 at 17:24
  • 1
    Not your problem. You may be able to ask on Law.SE for the best way to sue.
    – Chenmunka
    Oct 11, 2022 at 17:28
  • How does he fix it without replacing the beam?
    – Need help
    Oct 11, 2022 at 17:29
  • 3
    You need a structural engineer if you are looking for creative options (i.e. not replacing the beam) Plugs and glue are completely deficient to repair a load bearing member, glue is not used for structural purposes and the plug would not return the strength; this is not welding. Oct 11, 2022 at 17:56
  • 2
    You may want to consider a post underneath until you get it repaired properly. Maybe two posts, one on each side of the hole. Oct 11, 2022 at 18:48

1 Answer 1


Any structural feature not covered by the framing manual is going to need the blessing of a structural engineer.

If the hole is important it can probably be accommodated in the solution at little cost, the engineers consulting fee will likely outweigh material costs.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.