I have a house from 2019 that I am planning on ripping out the carpet in the living room and linoleum in the kitchen to make one unified flooring of LVP. I have yet to start ripping things out yet, but I've noticed the linoleum has a very thin sheet of wood that its attached to, instead of directly glued to the OSB.

My question is, should I get an underlayment for the currently carpeted living room (considerably smaller than the kitchen area) that matches the height of the current linoleum and lay my flooring onto that? Or should I try to get back down to the base OSB and work off that? Or would ripping up all the linoleum be best?

I am not sure how the linoleum is attached to the OSB, but I imagine based on how easy/hard that is to fully remove will dictate how I move forward.

Thank you!

  • If the linoleum is in decent shape, smooth and flat, I would probably leave it.
    – crip659
    Sep 16, 2022 at 21:51
  • To many TLA for me to understand
    – Traveler
    Sep 16, 2022 at 22:19
  • LVP Luxury vinyl planking (fake hardwood flooring), OSB oriented strand board (half way between plywood and chipboard) the subfloor.
    – Jasen
    Sep 17, 2022 at 13:12

1 Answer 1


I have installed many a LVP floor in my investment homes, personal residence and for customers. LVP can be very forgiving if they are good quality and min of 5.5mm thick. If the difference in height between the linoleum and the floor bare of carpet is 1/8 inch or less you can use leveling compound made for wood subfloors to ease that transition. The new LVP will have to cover that transition at the doorway/ opening perpendicular and not parallel to the opening. If the difference in height is greater than 1/8 find an underlayment close to the same thickness that is rated for use with LVP flooring. There are some that add just a bit of cushioning and it helps with sound transfer as well. Good Luck

  • Thanks for the tips! Ripped the carpet up today and see the linoleum is glued onto a 1/4" plywood piece, so I'm thinking of getting a 6mm cork underlayment to fill the "gap" (was looking at plywood, but its so darn expensive right now).
    – J. B.
    Sep 18, 2022 at 16:41
  • The 6mm or 1/4" cork is a good idea.
    – RMDman
    Sep 18, 2022 at 18:23

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.