enter image description hereJust wondering if anyone has any solutions other than a tear off bead for the transition between drywall and wood trim. The person I bought this house from did a real bang up job and installed the drywall after the trim so there are gaps and non “straight” lines everywhere.

  • 1
    quarter round profiles could do the magic
    – Traveler
    Commented Sep 15, 2022 at 1:53
  • 1
    Do you like the baseboard? If not, get something an inch higher and pad the backside by 1/2”, thus covering up the gap. Commented Sep 15, 2022 at 2:08
  • Sounds like you do not want a joint compound solution? Otherwise folded drywall tape can do the same thing. Fold it, mud in one half, cut off the other flap with a razor knife after it is dry and sanded. You could even paint it before cutting it.
    – Jack
    Commented Sep 15, 2022 at 3:17
  • What is "tear off bead"? I'm no drywall expert, so this is a term I've not heard. A link to what it is may help people avoid recommending it accidentally.
    – FreeMan
    Commented Sep 15, 2022 at 11:43

2 Answers 2


You will need to either add a piece of wood trim above the baseboard to cover that joint or fix the drywall to fill that joint. They make a drywall L bead (it is like corner bead with one short leg). This would need to be attached (stapled or nailed) and then several coats of drywall joint compound and possibly texture and then painting. In other words a lot of work... Probably faster to add a wood trim above the basboard.


Lay masking tape alone the edge of the wood and press it down well, then fill the gap with acrylic caulk, use a plastic trowel to smooth the caulk then peel the tape off.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.