My father-in-law set up all of his closet lights to turn on and off when the door opens. He used a switch that was apparently designed for that purpose, with a largish contact switch that turned on when pressed.

I'd buy some of these for my house, but I don't know what to call this item, so I can't find it.

  • Shopping questions are explicitly OT, but I'll edit this to something more appropriate.
    – BMitch
    Commented Feb 28, 2013 at 21:18
  • Adding a photo may also help get better answers.
    – BMitch
    Commented Feb 28, 2013 at 21:20
  • I can't add a photo, I don't have the item. My father-in-law lived in a different state. Commented Mar 1, 2013 at 3:26

1 Answer 1


There are two styles that I've seen:

"Automatic closet lights" that mount at the top of the door and include the light socket. automatic closet light

And "push button door switches" that are mounted in the door jamb and connect to a hardwired light fixture.

push button door switch

  • Micro switches with rollers on the end of the contact arm are used, but you have to add your own enclosure
    – HerrBag
    Commented Feb 28, 2013 at 21:58

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.