My house (I live in the UK) failed an electrical safety inspection because of a missing main supply cover. I have tried using google to find one to buy but can't find anything at all. Does anyone know how I can go about getting the right kind of cover for this? electric main

For context, the unit is connected to the electricity meter electric meter

UPDATE: I reported this to UK Power Networks after the advice I got here and they booked somebody to come out 2 days from when I called. The guy had a spare cover in his van - he collects the parts when he attends demolitions. So it was easy in the end.

  • "Main supply" for what? That can't possibly be where the power from the pole comes into the house - the wires are far too small for that. What product is this attached to?
    – FreeMan
    Commented Aug 16, 2022 at 17:23
  • 1
    The red and grey cables go into the electricity meter. I don't know where the white one at the bottom goes.
    – lapsel
    Commented Aug 16, 2022 at 17:28
  • 5
    I just thought better safe than sorry as I know nothing about it! :)
    – lapsel
    Commented Aug 16, 2022 at 18:01
  • 2
    @FreeMan: It almost certainly is where the power from the "pole" (more likely underground cables) comes in - probably 60+ years old by the look of it...
    – psmears
    Commented Aug 17, 2022 at 10:48
  • 7
    @FreeMan If you take a close look at the end of the red conductor, it looks like at least 16 mm² copper (~4.5 mm in diameter, something like #6 AWG), which is enough to carry 60 A (the rating of the main fuse, the white box under the terminals). In a 230V country this is more than enough for a small to mid-sized house.
    – TooTea
    Commented Aug 17, 2022 at 11:53

1 Answer 1


Some important UK context is missing from the other answers. In the UK this is know as the "Service Head" or main cut-out. It is the responsibility of the local Distribution Network Operator (DNO). Neither you, or your electricians are supposed to interfere with this and it is considered quite dangerous to do so as some of those exposed metal parts are before the 60-100A fuse that protects your property. A short circuit before the fuse could be very severe.

Therefore you should report this to your DNO saying you have exposed metal parts and is dangerous. They will likely come out the same day and replace the cover, or the head.

Your DNO depends upon where you live. Either search for it, or ring 105 to be put through to the appropriate local DNO.

  • 14
    This is the correct answer! The DNO is responsible for this equipment. I'm honestly surprised that the person conducting the electrical safety inspection didn't call the DNO themselves, they've left an incredibly dangerous conductor exposed.
    – scotty3785
    Commented Aug 17, 2022 at 8:00
  • 2
    Yeah, they should at least have directed OP to the responsible operator.
    – Borgh
    Commented Aug 17, 2022 at 8:14
  • 2
    Doen't matter whether they can fix it or replace it - This is the DNO's problem not the home-owner's. Further, it would have been closed with a safety wire/seal. By passing the buck to the DNO, it also passes liability. Most electrical network operators are incredibly responsive once a problem is reported - they don't generally muck about.
    – Criggie
    Commented Aug 17, 2022 at 23:43
  • 1
    The seals are there to prevent tampering (bypassing the meter). Prepare for some tough questions from the revenue protection team of your supplier and possible fines. Commented Aug 18, 2022 at 19:21
  • 1
    There should also be seals on the incoming connections of the meter. Commented Aug 18, 2022 at 19:23

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.