I am planning to hire a professional to repair the wood that rotted that is shown at the center of the photo below. What kind of a professional or a trade should I hire? Thanks in advance.

enter image description here

Added on Aug 10, 2022 -- a photo of the roof and gutter that are directly above the rotted wood.

enter image description here

  • 1
    But the source of rot comes from leaking roof/gutter, and it is right next to gutter, indicating the gutter is not doing its work.
    – Traveler
    Aug 10, 2022 at 4:34
  • 1
    To me it looks like improper siding flashing/installation at that corner. Why is there a horizontal strip unprotected by siding at the join between the floors? Perhaps the corner piece is actually channeling water to that bottom corner? A siding person should be able to figure it out, fix it and make modifications to prevent it recurring.
    – Armand
    Aug 10, 2022 at 4:47
  • 5
    General contractor, because this has probably got structural implications. Siding or roofing guys generally have no clue about structure. Aug 10, 2022 at 13:27
  • 1
    I agree with @Armand. What is the point of vinyl siding if they are going to leave wood exposed like that? Aug 10, 2022 at 14:02
  • 2
    Thanks for the 2nd photo! The wood visible just under the roof edge seems weathered and perhaps warped/damaged. I think it would benefit you to have someone with knowledge inspect the whole roof/siding of the house to identify other damage or issues perhaps not as easily visible as the damage you posted about.
    – Armand
    Aug 11, 2022 at 6:35

1 Answer 1


Thanks for all of the comments on my question. I'd like to give an update -- we hired a general contractor to replace the rotted wood with primed engineered lumber for about $2,500. We plan to hire a painter soon to paint the new lumber.

A photo showing what the trim looks like after the repair

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.