My grandfather was gifted this tool and we're trying to identify what it is. It has no unique markings other than the portion where engraved "US." It has a rivet on it, and that's as far as we know regarding facts. We assume 1800s, based on the second tool that also has no information and is only stamped with "US." Thank you so muchenter image description here

  • 4
    It's an early competitor to the Swiss Army knife. One end is a spark-plug feeler gauge, the other is for extracting boy scouts from horse's hooves. ;) [Sorry, no, I've no clue]
    – Tetsujin
    Commented Aug 2, 2022 at 7:15

1 Answer 1


This is a combination tool for Springfield Model 1892–99 Krag–Jørgensen rifles, the US army service rifle introduced in 1894 and phased out after 1903.

The specimen that you own is missing the rivet. Examples: 1 and 2.

(The) tool was carried in a compartment of the leather cartridge box. These tools were packed four for every twenty Carbines or Rifles shipped from the Arsenal.

Its successor, the M1903 Springfield rifle, has a slightly different combination tool. Thanks to Yorik for identifying the exact model!

  • 4
    better match ( Tool shipped with US Springfield Krag Carbine and Rifle1897 ) : worthpoint.com/worthopedia/…
    – Yorik
    Commented Aug 2, 2022 at 19:34
  • 1
    Yep, that's the one :)
    – MiG
    Commented Aug 2, 2022 at 20:45
  • 1
    @Yorik Do you want to start a second answer or should I edit this one into the above?
    – MiG
    Commented Aug 3, 2022 at 7:50
  • 2
    go ahead, its all yours
    – Yorik
    Commented Aug 3, 2022 at 14:17
  • Added some extra background info as well. Although Wikipedia may not necessarily be complete, the entry there does not mention the existence of an M1897 model, so I've left the designation as "1892-1899".
    – MiG
    Commented Aug 4, 2022 at 12:43

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.