This antique cast iron tool is apparently for carpenters and incorporates a router section with an adjustable fence. What is it called and who made it?

enter image description here

  • 1
    Picture not coming/bad link.
    – crip659
    Jul 30, 2022 at 22:34
  • 3
    looks like you added the picture and then deleted the link to the picture, so the picture isn't added after all. edit and try again, and don't delete the gobbledegook it puts at the bottom of the edit box...
    – Ecnerwal
    Jul 30, 2022 at 22:58
  • 2
    Not sure who did a -1 on a new user with a good question and some technical issues, but welcome aboard and likely a +1 from me and many others once you get the picture figured out. Jul 31, 2022 at 0:12
  • 2
    Also, once you fix the photo problem, click "reopen". A few other people should follow along and this will reopen the question.
    – DoxyLover
    Jul 31, 2022 at 5:19
  • @DoxyLover I don't see "reopen" anywhere.
    – Hot Licks
    Aug 1, 2022 at 2:37

2 Answers 2


This is a Combination Plane, probably from the 19th century.

It combines all or some of the tool functions offered by "a skewed cutter plow, dado, filletster and match plane".

If it's a Stanley brand, the brand would be readable on the side. If not, it could be one of many imitations. Perhaps it's number "45", types 1 to 4. Later models have more adjustment screws.

enter image description here

The “combination plane” was developed to create a woodworking tool that would perform multiple functions and free a workman from having to own a large number of individual planes. Over a 50-year time span in the second half of the 19th century numerous inventors patented and produced a broad array of combination planes.

Ref: eaiainfo.org

There are several patents of this tool.

enter image description here


  • Thank you very much! Value??
    – bill d.
    Aug 2, 2022 at 13:05
  • @billd. depends on the features (how many adjustments possible) and the accessories not depicted, if any. On ebay these vintage tools are around $80-$200. If it doesn't function because the screws have seized then its only ornamental, so less value. Where did you find it?
    – P2000
    Aug 2, 2022 at 14:19
  • 1
    Got it at a local garage sale in Des Moines. Thanks again!
    – bill d.
    Aug 13, 2022 at 22:21
  • @billd. ok well have fun with it. Glad this was useful. Remember to mark off the answer you liked best. That's a separate action in addition to any upvotes.
    – P2000
    Aug 13, 2022 at 23:45

This looks like a rebate (or rabbet) plane. A quick search shows brand new ones which look very similar in design. The further away part is a basic manual plane and the nearest part an adjustable fence to guide where the planing happens. I have no idea who made this specific one however.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.