What is the name of a hinge that will kick out when open? (See image below - click to enlarge.) I have an adjacent blind that won't let me open my kitchen cabinet.

Adjacent Window proposed hinge connection

2 Answers 2


I've never seen a cabinet hinge sold for this specific purpose but it's a good idea. I hope you find it. If not:

You could try adapting a double action hinge:

enter image description here

They are meant for doors swinging both ways.

When one of those is spring loaded (and usually ornate) it's a saloon hinge.

You could also possibly adapt a tandem hinge which is meant for double doors layered one on the other.

tandem cabinet hinge

Alternate approaches, if you don't find a hinge that works here, would be to

  • reverse the door. It looks like it would clear the window if the hinge was on the left.
  • Move the cabinet a little to the left, if that's possible. You could install a "gap fill" strip that you can buy at any hardware store given it's a common wood finish.

A concealed hinge offers this functionality, or at least similar to what you seem to have:

enter image description here

(but the ones in my closet only do one inch, not three...)

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.