We are buying a 40 year old house with this breaker panel on the inside, but there is no door or any markings I can see identifying the brand of the panel. The main 200amp breaker seems fairly unique to me, so hoping that can help narrow it down.

enter image description here

  • 3
    IF the type MP-T breaker actually belongs there, that would apparently make it a Murray panel. But the sparkies will probably be able to eyeball the other breakers and tell better. It certainly looks "alien" or at least details don't fit with all the other breakers.
    – Ecnerwal
    Jul 18, 2022 at 20:36
  • 1
    Well, I did find a picture of a 200A Murray breaker that has that funny hump, so you might be in luck that way...
    – Ecnerwal
    Jul 18, 2022 at 20:53
  • That main breaker is almost definitely related to the Murray MD2200A, though your handle seems to go the opposite direction from the handle in the pictures here.
    – Moshe Katz
    Jul 18, 2022 at 21:00
  • 1
    That looks like an older Murray I remember when I was an apprentice Murray was MP, CH was brown, QO was square D with the flag , Zinsco were double long, stab lock had a red stripe back then there was no legal cross breaker type That Siemens/GE , sq D hom & Murray can use Eaton breakers that are certified for those panels. We had to keep them all separate (still do with old) but some new are cross certified or listed now. @manassehkatz, I also remember the tapered handles on the old ones.
    – Ed Beal
    Jul 18, 2022 at 21:18
  • 1
    @Harper-ReinstateMonica The OP stated that the door is missing and there are no markings.
    – DoxyLover
    Jul 19, 2022 at 5:08

2 Answers 2


The older breakers with their beveled handles, and in particular the rounded-over main breaker case, is the distinctive design language of Murray panels.

It doesn't really work to look at 1 breaker in a panel and guess what panel it is, because people put the wrong breakers in panels all the time (and that is dangerous).

However, when ALL the older breakers speak one particular design language, it's a sure bet that's the panel type.

Murray is a perfectly common and current panel type, and it takes Siemens MP breakers (which Siemens has oddly renamed to QP for no good reason). Siemens MP/QP breakers are fine.


This looks like a Murray panel I say that because of the Murray breaker MP-T I Willy pull one of the others after turning off and verify. Some old ones had the tapered handle.

  • 1
    The OP could remove the cover and there's probably a label inside +
    – JACK
    Jul 18, 2022 at 21:40
  • 2
    The OP does not own the house yet and may not have permission to get that detailed in the pre-purchase inspection.
    – Ecnerwal
    Jul 18, 2022 at 21:44

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.