The stairs to the exterior entrance to my basement run parallel to my house and under my kitchen porch, which has a trap door to access it. The retaining wall, which runs parallel to the foundation, is made of unfilled cinderblock and is pushing inward. I have been told that I need a mason to fix this, but I don't know what kind of a mason. Many of those that I find on line don't do work of this type. So, the first question is what type of a mason would handle something like this. Question 2) I think a better option would be a general contractor, since the porch will need to be fixed as well. But the term general contractor seems to be very broad. When I look for general contractors online, the people that come up run the gamut from painters, to roofers, to siding installers, to home builders. Is there some more specific term I should use to find what I'm looking for?

  • 1
    You'd want a retaining wall or foundation contractor.
    – MonkeyZeus
    Jul 11, 2022 at 17:15
  • What country are you in? Jul 12, 2022 at 0:00
  • I'm in the United States.
    – domicile
    Jul 13, 2022 at 1:25


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.