I just got a Samsung NA36N7755TS cooktop secondhand. In between the rings of the power burner, there is a little metal part sticking up. It came significantly bent (damaged in transport). I bent it back mostly upright with a wrench, but I’m not sure what it actually is or is supposed to be doing. I can’t find it in any of the drawings of the cooktop. Does anyone know what it is? Thanks! image of unknown part on burner

enter image description here

  • 1
    Is there one of these on each burner? If it only on this one burner, then it might be a temperature sensor. It might be a burner that has automatic control to keep a saucepan at a constant temp, usually below boiling. Commented Jul 2, 2022 at 20:26
  • It’s only on this burner.
    – djrapp
    Commented Jul 2, 2022 at 20:40
  • The logic of bending things when dealing with gas escapes me - an entry for a Darwin Award maybe…
    – Solar Mike
    Commented Jul 2, 2022 at 20:46
  • 1
    Looks like an igniter for a gas burner.
    – Jon Custer
    Commented Jul 3, 2022 at 0:52
  • 1
    @JackAidley the whole cooktop got pretty beat up in transit (even the metal grating was damaged). I am having to replace several parts on it that were damaged. I was able to find images of the bent prong on a new cooktop and confirm that it is straight on that cooktop.
    – djrapp
    Commented Jul 11, 2022 at 1:50

1 Answer 1


Figured it out! This appears to be a thermocouple designed for flame out detection: https://www.sinopts.com/How-important-is-the-flameout-protection-device-id3688335.html

Update: I'm not actually sure this is a functional thermocouple. See below.

  • Then there should be one on each burner.
    – JACK
    Commented Jul 3, 2022 at 12:27
  • 1
    @JACK Assuming this cooktop is like mine, the other burners have only a single burner/cap/etc. instead of two. In which case, the thermocouples for the others may be underneath the cap instead of between the cap and ring. Commented Jul 3, 2022 at 16:06
  • @JACK I actually have a suspicion about this. Here is another stove which seems to use the exact same power burner, made by Defendi SRL: homedepot.com/p/…
    – djrapp
    Commented Jul 3, 2022 at 17:40
  • If you look at the second-to-last pic, you see that everything about that power burner looks identical to mine, except for the thermocouple which looks different (brass base, pointed tip instead of silver prong). Then, if you look at the burner cup part for my Samsung range, you see that the prong in question is actually built into the burner cup and has no wire leads coming from it as you might expect: partsdr.com/part/dg62-00162a-burner-cup-orifice
    – djrapp
    Commented Jul 3, 2022 at 17:43
  • Also, the Robam cooktop explicitly advertises flameout protection, while the Samsung does not. So, unless the thermocouple-based flameout mechanism is somehow sneakily self-contained inside the burner cup on my stove, my suspicion is that the prong on my stove is actually a non-functional piece of metal serving as a placeholder for a thermocouple protection feature which Samsung could have opted to include on this burner, but chose not to. As to why it would prong-shaped instead of flat, I wonder if it has something to do with the gas flow being designed assuming presence of a thermocouple?
    – djrapp
    Commented Jul 3, 2022 at 17:46

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.