This place I've moved into has a door that rubs each time, it seems the frame isnt square.

Is there a way to adjust the UPVC hinges to compensate?

the door hinge with the door open

the door hinge with the door closed

  • Is this a place you own or rent? If you're renting, call maintenance / the landlord.
    – FreeMan
    Jun 22 at 17:10

1 Answer 1


There are 3 types of UPVC hinges.

enter image description here

You seem to have the Butt Type.

While the other 2 are adjustable the Butt Hinge is limited to none.

Remove the cap on top and bottom of the hinge to find out if there is a adjustment screw inside.

butt hinge

  • Are you sure that the hex-head bolt you've highlighted from the OP's pic isn't the adjustment itself? It appears to have 3 marks on it, and there's one on the hinge. Looks like giving that bolt a little turn may cause adjustment of the hinge. OTOH, it might just loosen the hing from the frame...
    – FreeMan
    Jun 23 at 13:21
  • Thanks. I'll have a go of this at the weekend. I appreciate the help and input from you all. Jun 24 at 15:19

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.