I am trying to install 6 new wall lights. The old lights had a standard round bracket, but the new lights have a rectangular bracket (see photo) with holes that are not really designed to line up with anything -- they are designed to just screw into a wall. This is a small box - 3" between the screws and the box is slightly inset on the wood wall. I can't find any crossbar or plate that would work. I'm thinking I have to cut a round piece of 1/8" plywood -- but then the junction box is covered with wood, which doesn't seem safe. Looking for ideasenter image description here

  • why are the new brackets L shaped
    – Traveler
    Commented Jun 3, 2022 at 3:47
  • are you saying the holes from the new bracket do not align with the screws in the wall socket ?
    – Traveler
    Commented Jun 3, 2022 at 3:49
  • Show me how the light mounts to the bracket, with what screws.
    – Traveler
    Commented Jun 3, 2022 at 4:17
  • you are missing the Light Fixture Mounting Bracket, Universal Crossbar
    – Traveler
    Commented Jun 3, 2022 at 4:18
  • Please clarify your specific problem or provide additional details to highlight exactly what you need. As it's currently written, it's hard to tell exactly what you're asking. Commented Jun 3, 2022 at 6:04

1 Answer 1


Extenders for electrical boxes are typically called "mud rings" or "extender rings". Do a search and you'll find an amazing number of sizes and shapes, both metallic and non-metallic.

Example only of one type:

enter image description here

Another option is a small plastic bushing that fits around each screw that holds the fixture/bracket to the junction box and acts as a spacer between fixture and box so the screw is secure. You can stack them for your specific gap thickness. Example only:

enter image description here

See also this previous question: how-to-attach-a-wall-plate-to-an-old-junction-box-with-different-screw-hole-spac

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.