I’m trying to replace this corner piece. The vinyl was installed over the old aluminum years ago. And yes the caulking needs redone.

enter image description here

1 Answer 1


The broken vertical piece is called J-channel.

Note that J-channel is installed before the horizontal siding, which covers the nail holes. You’ll have to finesse replacement. Since it’s broken anyway, I’d cut more away so you can pry up the nails slightly. If you do that, you might be able to disengage the broken j-channel and then hook the replacement over the existing nails. A siding removal tool, which is an inexpensive tool to unhook the bottom edge of the siding from the piece below, will help you separate/unlock the horizontal pieces to get to the nails.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge that you have read and understand our privacy policy and code of conduct.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.