I have a contractor fixing/repainting my ceilings and doing repair work around my place. I want to protect the walls, not only from dirt, but scratches, dents, etc. if the contractor's ladder etc rubs the wall.

Are there any thicker/durable wall protectors besides the plastic sheeting? What other materials are there in the business?

enter image description here

  • The plastic sheeting is mainly to keep paint off of things. Most contractors are responsible for any damage they cause and should repair it to the same as it was before work. Pictures before and after the work might come in handy.
    – crip659
    May 28, 2022 at 18:08
  • I suggest you protect your walls by choosing your workers carefully, in other words, by watching them as they work on another project to see if they are meticulous by nature. May 29, 2022 at 1:08

1 Answer 1


There are various paper products more typically used for floor protection - Builders kraft paper, red rosin paper, on up to the heavy-duty stuff like ramboard (which is a specific brand that I'm not endorsing, just using as a common example.)

These products typically come about 3 feet wide and in long rolls. I would compare the ramboard and competitors to a long sheet of cereal box cardboard, as something you may be familiar with, to get a sense of it before you find some at a store.

However - this should really be on the contractor - to do no damage, or to protect from doing damage, or to repair any damage done.

  • so kraft paper, red rosin , and then ramboard, anything else in between? We are also getting good contractor, thanks
    – mattsmith5
    May 29, 2022 at 1:23
  • Mostly various thicknesses of the thicker cardboard-ish stuff.
    – Ecnerwal
    May 29, 2022 at 1:28

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge that you have read and understand our privacy policy and code of conduct.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.