In the pic below, there's a black ring that holds the bearing guide wheel in place against the router bit. I need another one of those so I can position the guide wheel higher up on the shank. Knowing what that piece is called will give me something to actually search for.

enter image description here

1 Answer 1


Often called Stop collar or shaft collar.

  • 1
    I've also seen lock collar. Feb 3, 2013 at 18:50
  • Collit.....old school name Feb 3, 2013 at 19:44
  • @shirlock- do you mean collet? I disagree. A collet provides a clamping force, often to hold a tool, to transmit a motive force. This is simply a stop to prevent parts from sliding up the shaft. IMHO of course :)
    – bcworkz
    Feb 3, 2013 at 20:25
  • My bad, a collet is a type of chuck, like on a dremel tool etc. OPPS!!!! Feb 3, 2013 at 20:47
  • Shaft collar wins! menards.com/main/… Feb 3, 2013 at 21:33

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge that you have read and understand our privacy policy and code of conduct.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.