I recently had my induction cooktop die, and I am looking at getting a new one. However I noticed that the old cook top was simply connected with a standard 2 prong EU plug (I am in Finland). When my new cook top came, it came with 3 wires instead of plug. Is it possible to wire that into a plug? Or do I need to redo the wiring to accept the new connection?

My new cook top is a Miele KM 7000 KM7201FR

The outlet The Old plug The new stove wires Thanks

  • It may be possible if you can take a photo of the electrical behind the plug there may be a safety or earth ground there already.
    – Ed Beal
    May 18, 2022 at 20:27
  • Not sure how to upload photos, but it is a standard EU socket so it has the connectors for the ground. Also since it was used with the previous cooktop, I assume it is OK. My other concern is that the new wires are much thicker than the old ones, does this indicate anything?
    – Wester
    May 18, 2022 at 20:54
  • 1
    What do the instructions say about installing the cook top?
    – JACK
    May 18, 2022 at 21:32
  • If by thicker you the metal wire itself, not just the covering, then quite possible you need a new larger circuit with a larger breaker. Main thing you need to know is the ampage of the new stove. Most house circuits are split into normal low amps, like lights, toasters, and higher amps like stoves, dryers, water heaters. A small stove might work at low amps, but a big stove needs more amps and it's own circuit.
    – crip659
    May 18, 2022 at 22:31
  • Do you know what the power requirement of the old cooktop vs. new is? May 18, 2022 at 23:33

1 Answer 1


You can. But you probably do not want to.

Schuko is fused at max 16A, so you can never pull more than 3.2kW over a Schuko plug. I do not know the electric code in Finland, so it may not be legal to connect machines that can draw a larger current to a Schuko as well.

To use your 7kW cooking top, you will need a 32A circuit breaker if the top is single phase. This means rewiring with thicker wire and replacing the outlet with a different type that can handle 32A.

To wire it (temporarily), you can go to a store that sells electric products, such as Biltema. What you're looking for is a schuko plug. Biltema is just an example, as I know they are present in Finland, and the article numbers are the same as in Norway, so it is easy for me to link. Connect the blue and brown wire to the prongs, and the yellow/green to the earth symbol.

This should only be regarded as temporary fix, until you can get an electrician to update your installation.

  • Nit: 16A at 220V is 3.5kW, not 3.2. Also, the OP's photo shows the connection cable for the new top, and has neutral, ground, and a single phase. (So definitely need 32A.) May 19, 2022 at 11:03
  • Also, please indicate what "this" is that you've linked to. Not everyone speaks Finnish, and links do die, leaving that a useless link in the future. I'd suggest that you need a TL;DR: at the top saying, effectively "you likely need to have an electrician run a new circuit", which is what it's sounding like to me.
    – FreeMan
    May 19, 2022 at 12:13

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.