I have this well pump, item title is "VEVOR Submersible Pump 3HP Deep Well Pump 32.8' Cable 4" 220V 630' w/Control Box".

enter image description here

The pump needs 220 volts to run but the control box has a plug for a 110 outlet My question is how does this work with a 110 plug control box ?

  • 1
    I have attempted to make the title question a more succinct version of the question (as is expected here). Please ensure that I've got this correct. Also, please edit to clarify what 32.8' Cable 4" 220V 630' means. Usually the ' mark indicates feet, however, I'm not sure I understand how that impacts the numbers you've provided. Also, what does Cable 4" mean? The " usually denotes inches - is something in a 4" conduit? Is the cable 4" around? Does the " note denote inches in this case? The more you can clarify the more likely we are to be able to help you.
    – FreeMan
    May 17, 2022 at 14:18
  • If the cable is two hots, one neutral and a ground wire, then it is easy to have an 120v outlet, not usually recommended nor usually in code, but possible.
    – crip659
    May 17, 2022 at 14:49
  • 1
    And lo, the string of gibberish turns up a website selling a 220V 50 Hz pump, so unless (or even if, for that matter) Jay is in a 50 Hz country... Return it and get something not from a terrible website selling unlisted junk that won't work on the power you have, and with incorrect connectors to boot? 630 ft head, but supplied with 32 feet of cable - yeah, that's not going to work. Junk - run. get your money back if you can, write it off as the cost of being gullible while shopping on the internet if you can't.
    – Ecnerwal
    May 17, 2022 at 15:29
  • 1
    This is probably the pump the OP has. From personal experience with this company, their online product listings are not always entirely accurate (I purchased an air compressor from them which actually turned out to have a better spec than advertised), so it's possible that what the OP received is actually a 60Hz pump ...
    – brhans
    May 17, 2022 at 18:00
  • 1
    @FreeMan figured it out. When you see a string of capitalized words like that, I find it often a cut-and-paste of the item title from the sales website. (perhaps it's an attempt to link the product?) So I went looking, and found exactly that in the usual places. Linked. May 17, 2022 at 19:18

1 Answer 1


First stop is the UL Listing.

Make sure the machine has a UL, CSA or ETL listing, or other Recognized Testing Lab required by your country.

Why? There's a lot of cheap junk out there sold mail order which is not safe, not well made, and not legal for sale or installation in this country. That stuff will not provide satisfaction in the long term, and is best avoided.

I mention this because sticking a 120V plug on a 240V appliance is the kind of "don't care" mistake we see a lot of on cheap junk mail order products. Buyer beware!

Presuming it is listed by an appropriate lab, the instruction will also have been approved. It is important to follow them, as they are the basis of the testing, approval and warranty. Perhaps the control box is powered separately from the pump.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.