enter image description here

enter image description here

This is the picture of what I saw on the outside of my window. The outmost layer is my vinyl siding, then it's asphalt and the wood. There needs to be something covering this part in case of rain? I am a new owner, so I don't know what I need to order from Home Depot. What is the name of the items that i need to order?

And the following pictures have two windows, the pictures above are taken from the window on the right. The left one is a good one.enter image description here

  • Is this looking up, down, or sideways?
    – Hot Licks
    Apr 4, 2022 at 0:36
  • Can you take another photo and zoom out a bit. Apr 4, 2022 at 1:13
  • @HotLicks It is looking down
    – Rongeegee
    Apr 4, 2022 at 1:57
  • @PlatinumGoose just took another photo. check it again
    – Rongeegee
    Apr 4, 2022 at 2:04
  • Not sure what the piece is called, someone else will probably come along and answer. You should be able to find it at one of the big box stores just match the one under the AC unit. Apr 4, 2022 at 2:59

1 Answer 1


It's just a sill wrap. When maintenance-free siding was installed all the old trim needed to be covered and extended for appearance and weather handling. Looks like the wind decided to pull it off for you, or someone bumped it while trying to escape. It could be laying around somewhere or stored in the garage rafters.

There's nothing to order. It's a custom-built part formed on site by a siding installer using a sheet metal "brake" and hand tools. You can study that type of project and tackle it yourself, or you can take careful measurements and ask a shop to make you one, or you can hire someone.

Be aware that the sill is usually one of the first things wrapped when siding is installed, so it fits behind other components like the J-channel. Usually it's quite securely held.

  • So my window is also missing an exteior sill? I showed the pictures to the Home Depot guy, he said those are aluminum sheet bended by a machine
    – Rongeegee
    Apr 4, 2022 at 19:01
  • Sometimes there's nothing inside. Depends on what trim the house was initially fitted with and whether it was rotted away when it was resided.
    – isherwood
    Apr 4, 2022 at 19:18
  • So If i buy a piece of aluminium to cover this part, will it be good enough?
    – Rongeegee
    Apr 4, 2022 at 19:32
  • I have no idea what you're asking me. :P
    – isherwood
    Apr 4, 2022 at 19:51
  • 1
    Do you mean a wood sill? Not really. As I said, these things are commonly partially or completely hollow. You sometimes see support blocks at the corners and every so often to give a little strength. They're mostly decorative.
    – isherwood
    Apr 4, 2022 at 20:15

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.