I am trying to determine what GFCI breaker to use for a 20A MWBC in an old Challenger panel that requires Eaton Cutler-Hammer BR breaker replacements. I have found at least three models that appear to be potential fits: GFTCB220, GFTCB220CS and GFCB220. Is either one of these good or do I need to get a specific one? I do not currently have any Challenger GFCI breaker on my panel, so I can't look for a fit based on the model replaced. Here is a photo of my panel label if it helps
enter image description here
A quick comparison of physical dimensions with the non-GFCI breaker BR220 does not seem to give me much of a clue either
Size comparison

  • 1
    They all should be 2" wide. It appears your sources have an inconsistent definition of which one is "width". By the way, all BR breakers are cross-listed type C or type A. So they actually are type C breakers. (or type A if tandem/quad). Apr 4, 2022 at 1:20

1 Answer 1


You want the GFTCB220

While all three breakers are BR GFCIs, and thus cross-listed to fit your panel, the GFCB220 is an obsolete part number due to the last edition of UL 943 introducing an automatic self-test requirement for GFCIs. In response to this, Eaton introduced an updated design under the GFTCB part number prefix, so that's what you want; the CS suffix simply stands for a retail clamshell package, though, so that's irrelevant.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.