I have a fibreglass seat pan, and it was damaged. What's the correct name for the edging stuff? I hope that I can find something large enough to cover the road-rash.

enter image description here

enter image description here

There's a springy steel-toothed core, and it slips over the raw edge of a fibreglass shape to protect it.

enter image description here

enter image description here

enter image description here

  • This happens to be a seat from a recumbent bicycle, but the question is generic. This kind of bike seat is uncommon so not really suitable for bicycles.SE, and teh DIYers of the world are more likely to know the right words.
    – Criggie
    Commented Mar 30, 2022 at 9:51
  • 2
    Not sure why this is garnering close votes, we get plenty of "identify this part" questions. If it happened to be a trim strip for a fiberglass shower surround instead of fiberglass bike seat, there wouldn't be any question at all.
    – FreeMan
    Commented Mar 30, 2022 at 11:36
  • 1
    Agree with @FreeMan. Can see that being used for quite a few things besides a bike seat. Have a table that has something similar along the bottom edge.
    – crip659
    Commented Mar 30, 2022 at 11:42
  • I’m voting to close this question because it's not about DIY Home Improvement. If someone wants to ask a similar question about some sort of similar edging used somewhere in a home then they're free to do so...
    – brhans
    Commented Mar 30, 2022 at 13:11
  • @brhans Fair observation, which is why I framed it as an identification question rather than a "bike repair" The latter I can do perfectly well. That "DIY" is not directly interchangeable with "Home Improvement" was covered in diy.meta.stackexchange.com/questions/266/…
    – Criggie
    Commented Mar 30, 2022 at 20:22

2 Answers 2


So possible search terms are:

edging, protective edging or edge protector or edge protector strip or U channel ...

Often used with door & protector

Searching on Bay of Fleas gives many results with and without the internal spring.


In Norway, it goes under the name of Volvolist, named after a certain car brand.

The proper name for it is edge protection, and vendors such as RS Online have multiple hits when you search for edge protection.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.