Not a very important question, but I'm wondering what the little diamonds are on my tape measure. It's a Stanley Fatmax from the UK © 2011. The first one is at ~488 mm (~19.2 inch), and then every ~488 mm after that along the tape, but they don't align with any regular measurement in can fathom.

enter image description here


1 Answer 1


It is an alternative framing spacing, used for studs, joists and rafters. It is an "identifier" for a stud layout much like the 16" center layout where you will get an even amount of spaces over an 8 ft. piece of material, or for that matter a 16 ft. piece of material as well.

  • 1
    In other words, instead of 6 studs per 8' span, you get 5 joists for the 8' span.
    – BMitch
    Mar 25, 2022 at 12:49
  • 1
    Huh... I've heard of studs on 16" & 24" centers, but 19" centers?
    – FreeMan
    Mar 25, 2022 at 14:06
  • 1
    @FreeMan — it varies from place to place, but those are usually drawn by architects that hate carpenters ;) Mar 26, 2022 at 22:47
  • I have used those center marks myself. I was building an outbuilding using 2X6 oak salvaged from a barn, and needed to adjust my framing to work with the material I had. It worked out pretty good for my occasion.
    – Jack
    Mar 27, 2022 at 18:45
  • So useless in the UK as we don't have matchstick houses?
    – Paul Uszak
    Mar 29, 2022 at 1:08

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.