I need help understanding how to choose the right hinges for my cabinet doors. I have new 3/4" thick cabinet doors, fully overlaying/sitting on the face frame of the cabinet box. I do not want European hinges, and want the doors to open to approximately 180 degrees (open all the way back to the adjacent cabinet door). What description do I look for in choosing the right hinges for this application?

1 Answer 1


If you don't want to use european style hinges, you need to use an overlay hinge such as this type

overlay hinge

These can be found ast sites such as Rockler, or in many DIY centers.

  • Do I need to get one that says 3/4" on the packaging? I notice many say 3/8", but have not found a 3/4" one. Thanks.
    – RET
    Jan 24, 2013 at 1:41
  • On an overlay hinge, the thickness of your door is immaterial. What matters is how much it overhangs the frame opening. 3/8 sound like you are looking at inset hinges which are not correct. Thise are used with doors that are partially recessed into the frame.
    – bib
    Jan 24, 2013 at 1:59
  • I understand. I will only look for overlay hinges (without inset). Thank You for your help.
    – RET
    Jan 24, 2013 at 18:57

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.