I am looking to replace the light switch for an outside light. What I would like to do is put a motion sensor on the switch due to the fact the light is too high for me to get to and replace it. Is there a product that would allow me to just replace the inside switch? A timer switch would also work.

I can't find any type of switch to allow me to achieve this. Do you have any suggestions?

The switch is on the inside, lights on outside.

  • 1
    It's difficult to tell what you're asking. If you replace the switch that controls an outside light with a motion sensor, the light will turn on when it senses motion inside. Is this what you are trying to accomplish, or do you want the light to come on when motion is sensed outside? Are both the switch and light outside?
    – Tester101
    Jan 23, 2013 at 12:36
  • Where is the light switch now, on the inside or the outside? If outside, is facing the area where the motion you want to detect will occur?
    – bib
    Jan 23, 2013 at 13:08

1 Answer 1


You can replace your switch with a motion activated switch. You can find them on eBay, Amazon and any electrical shop near you!

enter image description here

Or you can also use a timer switch (wall) also found in the same places.

enter image description here

As mentioned in comments and also a really cool idea. A wireless motion sensor switch. A bit more difficult to find but they are out there.

enter image description here

All of these will require some electrical skills. Make sure you turn off your mains before working on bare wires.

You could be risking your life if you do not follow basic electronic precautions.

  • 1
    You can also get wireless motion sensor switches, that is, a replacement switch with a wireless remote motion sensor that transmits to the switch.
    – Craig
    Jan 23, 2013 at 19:05
  • the switch is inside and the light is outside. I would like it to detect motion on the outside. I'm not able to reach the outside light. it's new construction and was not done while being built.
    – joseph
    Jan 24, 2013 at 18:31

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.