I have a cracked corner of fascia where two fiber cement boards meet. How would I go about fixing this? I tried "DAP Platinum Patch" spackling compound, just to find out that it's supposed to only cover minor cracks up to 1/8" deep.

I feel like this corner needs to be filled with something. What should I use?

enter image description here

  • 1
    Commenting because I don't know if this idea is bunkum: Try auto body filler, like "Bondo". Apply in layers, perhaps, per the instructions, but build out until the surface is proud of the facia faces, then sand flush, prime & paint. The stuff is good for outside work, since it's designed for cars. The existing pieces need to be dust- and dirt-free, so the filler has something solid to bind to. Mar 16, 2022 at 16:00
  • 1
    Remove broken trim. Replace with new pieces.
    – FreeMan
    Mar 16, 2022 at 16:00
  • 1
    Do you know why it cracked?
    – JACK
    Mar 16, 2022 at 16:29
  • @JACK I think previous owner may have damaged it when installing the gazebo, you can see one of the roof support rods sticking in that direction. It is not degrading further.
    – hyankov
    Mar 16, 2022 at 16:34

1 Answer 1


If you want a crisp corner, treat it like a plastering [spackle?] task but using exterior-grade filler.

Square off the corner by using a piece of exterior angle-bead held in place by a couple of dollops of your filler [knock it back a little if you need, to bed it properly], then smooth finish afterwards, leaving the metal edge as your visible corner. Paint as desired.
Done like this it will even be slightly resistant to a little movement afterwards [but not a lot].

enter image description here

Examples of various bead types from UK trade store. I don't know if the US uses the same naming conventions.

  • Ah, sounds like a great idea!
    – hyankov
    Mar 17, 2022 at 12:38

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge that you have read and understand our privacy policy and code of conduct.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.