I am trying to remove a bathroom sink and vanity (the entire set-up), and unfortunately for me, I just discovered that the hot/cold water lines as well as the drainage line (that connects to the home sewage line) was drilled up through the floor.

I have no issue getting into the crawlspace and cutting and capping the hot and cold cpvc piping for the water line, but what is the appropriate way to remove the larger piping that connects to the sewage line?

Is this what you mean by a clean-out connecter?

enter image description here

  • Is the sewage line cast iron or PVC?
    – jay613
    Mar 14, 2022 at 19:22
  • It's white PVC, just eyeballing it maybe 3 inch, connecting to the typical black (I assume) PVC in the crawlspace. Mar 14, 2022 at 19:23
  • Is this a permanent removal or temporary until a new bathroom is installed?
    – FreeMan
    Mar 14, 2022 at 19:39
  • @FreeMan - permanent removal Mar 14, 2022 at 19:45

1 Answer 1


Usually the same way.

Cut or unscrew enough pipe and place a cap on the end to prevent sewer gas from escaping.

Depending on type of pipe, should find the right connections to add a cap at most big box and plumbing stores.

  • is a sewage line not like a water line, in a sense that the second I breach the piping "sewage" will leak from the pipe? Or am I safe to cut the pipe in the crawlspace and purchase a cap of sorts to glue? and cover with? Mar 14, 2022 at 19:25
  • 1
    A sewage line isn't pressurized like a water line. Unless something's wrong, like during a flood or a major blockage. But normally, when not actively in use, the pipes should be mostly empty. There may be some water left in the pipes so be prepared for some dirty water to come out when you cut it especially if it's overhead.
    – jay613
    Mar 14, 2022 at 19:29
  • 1
    Unless it is blocked/backed up, most of the the stuff should be below/past. There usually is a bit on the bottom of pipe that might leak out, but an old rag/small bucket/can should catch it. Would not hurt to have the parts needed handy, before cutting/unscrewing. Usually just a unpleasant smell.
    – crip659
    Mar 14, 2022 at 19:30
  • 2
    Might get a clean-out connector, it should have a threaded section for a cap. the store should know, usually sizes go by pipe diameter, not width of ends. A hacksaw will work, try to make a square cut.
    – crip659
    Mar 14, 2022 at 20:02
  • 1
    That will work, might come in handy one day.
    – crip659
    Mar 14, 2022 at 20:23

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.