I've got an intermediate screw base light bulb that I want to replace (as it's burned out). However, going around to local stores they only have the correct size & wattage of bulb available in either medium base screw or some weird looking 2 prong thing that I've never seen before. Since adapting medium down to intermediate would probably take up too much space, are there 2 prong to intermediate base adapters available anywhere?

2 Answers 2


Yes they are definitely available though specifics as to where to buy them are generally considered off-topic for this site.

Here's a GU10-WHIP flexible socket adapter:


Or here's a more traditional Bi-Pin to Standard Base adapter:


  • 1
    Asking if something exists, is usually a loophole way of asking a "shop for me" type question. Answers will almost certainly contain links to products on Amazon.
    – Tester101
    Jan 21, 2013 at 17:11
  • Maybe I should have phrased it as "what do they call those goofy 2 pin connectors"? I've been shopping for them, but had no luck coming up with search terms that found anything useful. :-) Jan 22, 2013 at 14:35
  • Generically they are Bi-Pin/two pin. Actual bulb types are usually GU10, MR16
    – Steven
    Jan 22, 2013 at 15:49
  • I was able to snag a GE 4.5w GU10 based bulb with a form factor similar to a PAR-14 (fixture originally had R-14, but PAR works for my application too) at my local Andersons store. Then I found single piece E17 intermediate screw base to GU10 adapters at Bulborama. Bulb projects a little beyond the shield with all the added length, but with a PAR beamwidth it works out great! Thanks everyone! Mar 4, 2013 at 19:53

You may be looking for GU24 bulbs

Relevant question: Are standard light bulb bases being phased out?

If so, a typical Edison Screw Bulb may work fine but you're better off buying the bulb intended for the ballast.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.