For purposes of laying out a quilting project, I want to use an approx 4' by 7' wall space. I have a large piece of thin fabric that is tacky on both sides. One side goes against the wall and stays there. On the other side, I place small blocks of fabric for a quilt, rearranging them until I've found a pleasing layout.

The tacky fabric needs a smooth wall surface. My painted and textured wallboard is not smooth enough. I could use additional spray glue, but I don't want to spray that on the wall, as it may be difficult to clean up when I want restore the wall to its original condition.

I think the solution is to mount another board on the wall, attached with appropriate anchors. I could put up gypsum board/drywall, but what other board type would be better? Something really smooth and thin would be best.

  • Why not just sand the texture down and repaint, cheaper and easier than putting more material on the walls. at my last home I had a huge projection wall that was glass smooth with the glass beads in the paint. Around the outside I put some trim it looked like a giant picture frame. You could do the same using a gloss paint that would hold the sticky fabric.
    – Ed Beal
    Feb 19 at 18:19
  • @EdBeal Thanks for the suggestion but I don't want to permanently change that wall. Feb 19 at 18:26

2 Answers 2


You could obtain a 4'x8' piece of coated hardboard and hang that on the wall. (You could also build a frame for around it as Ed Beal suggested in his comment.)

The hardboard has a smooth, white, glossy acrylic surface for the tack cloth to stick to, and is thin enough to still be lightweight.

You can pick one up at a BigBox store for about $20.

  • Some hardboard comes in brown but is still very smooth. (Just in case OP can't find white, the brown stuff should work, too.)
    – FreeMan
    Feb 19 at 22:05
  • True. The brown stuff doesn't have the same surface coating though and that coating might be a good idea for moisture resistance and durability, etc. I think you're right tho. the brown should work too.
    – gnicko
    Feb 19 at 22:10
  • Terrific. Just the kind of response I was hoping for: a specific kind of product that I was pretty sure existed but didn't know how to search for" "smooth wall board" didn't get it. ;) Feb 19 at 22:18

A sheet of plywood either 3 or 5 ply would work.

Have to fill screw holes after though.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.