I bought Glacier Bay tub & shower unit (3000 series). I'm not sure how to attach the mixer unit to the frame and also the shower and tub sprouts to the frame. The mixer unit has four holes, all threaded. Two for attaching the cover plate and two to attach a plastic plaster guard, with its own plastic screws. How to attach the unit to the wall (or wood frame)? Is the plaster guard needed? enter image description here

  • What does the literature say?
    – isherwood
    Feb 11, 2022 at 17:07
  • The small book seem to suggest, the plaster guard should be used (its not very clear) Then There will be no holes to secure the mixed=r unit to the 2x4. Hence the confusion. Feb 11, 2022 at 17:34

1 Answer 1


I don't normally attach a valve directly to framing. It sits in space and the various pipes connected to it are secured as appropriate. Same with the spout and shower nipple, both of which should be supported at their final bends. If using pex, consider transitioning to copper at a sensible point for each supply and the outputs.

You could add framing blocking to allow pipe straps near the valve if your studs happen to be so far away as to leave flex in the assembly. Do this after the plumbing is done so you can position it well and not have to work around it.

If you're still not satisfied with the rigidity this provides, you could run a block behind the valve and put a gob of silicone caulk in there as a mounting pad.

As long as you clamp each of the pipes at one point and allow movement between the clamp and the next bend you don't have to worry about expansion noise, etc. It's only when a straight run is pinched more than once that it becomes a problem. All framing penetrations should have adequate clearance.

The plaster guard is not necessarily critical if you're cutting a hole in a shower wall, but it would ensure clearance for mounting screws, etc.

  • Thanks. I'll be attaching the vale body to the 2x4 between the studs. I was thinking not to attach the plaster guard, but use it as a guide to make the hole. In this case the extra screw holes will be used (where the plaster guard screws would go) to secure the mixer to the 2x4. Is this correct. Is there another way to attach it. Feb 11, 2022 at 17:31
  • You're welcome. Please take the tour to learn how to follow up on your questions.
    – isherwood
    Feb 11, 2022 at 17:39
  • You're asking me how to do something I've never done before (mounting using screw holes not intended for mounting). I can't give advice on that, but I'm not sure how screw holes on the front of the valve would work. There's not enough room for a lumber block there.
    – isherwood
    Feb 11, 2022 at 17:40
  • My question is how to secure the valve body to the 2x4? Some other brands have anchors with screw holes ( saw them in you tube). Feb 11, 2022 at 17:59
  • The valve itself is not secured, but the four pipes form the valve are secured near the valve. I could use some silicone on the back of the valve and attach to a block of 2x4 between the studs, if needed. From Youtube I got the idea that the valve was supposed to be secured. Appreciate and thanks again @isherwood. Feb 11, 2022 at 19:33

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.