I have a screw that is used to fasten electrical-panel door. Now the wall got thicker and I need longer screw to fasten the door. I measured the size of the screw and tried to order same diameter screws from local shop. The problem is that threading was different and ordered screw did not fit. I was not able find the actual screw standard.

Thread (outer) diameter: 4mm

Thread pitch: 2mm

Thread length: 13mm

Thread count: 7

Head diameter: 6mm

Some photos:

thread pitch thread length head bottom thread

Update: Model of the box: Hager Volta panel

  • 1
    It is not metric thread, neither SAE. Self drilling screw is not standardized. Looks like it for plastic.
    – user263983
    Jan 28, 2022 at 21:39
  • Yup, it is for fastening the metal door to plastic. Jan 28, 2022 at 21:45
  • need pictures of the enclosure.
    – RadioSpace
    Jan 28, 2022 at 21:48
  • Hi @RadioSpace, I updated the question with the model and image of the box. Jan 28, 2022 at 22:07
  • Most of the images are broken (the SSL certificate is wrong, and the site tells me to log in) - you might have a way to reupload them, in order to benefit future visitors.
    – Glorfindel
    Feb 28, 2023 at 17:36

1 Answer 1


Whoa, no, you can't do that.

You can't let wall materials squeeze in between panel and door.

That's not an approved (or approve-able) installation of the panel. It goes against manufacturer instructions and that of the testing lab which confirmed the panel safe.

The hole in your new wall layer needs somewhat larger than the panel cover. So the panel cover can join to the panel properly as designed.

Feel free to cover the whole thing with a tasteful cabinet door, if you have a problem with the aesthetics of that. That's just tearing a page from Victorian era design, which regularly did that to cover utilities.

  • That actually is a good idea. You mean to attach materials directly to the cabinet door? Or make another door on top of this door? Jan 29, 2022 at 0:38
  • Cover your panel, not attach to it. The answer was clear.
    – Solar Mike
    Jan 29, 2022 at 7:45
  • @AndriusPetrauskis I meant an outer door that opens to reveal the unmodified electrical panel. Like a cabinet door. Jan 29, 2022 at 18:12

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.