I have this hole in my kitchen. The whole paint layer is gone and you can see the metal support beneath it.

enter image description here

Here's a picture also showing the "culprit":

enter image description here

I've never fixed a wall before, I'm a complete beginner in home repair.

How can I go about fixing this? Is this something that can be fixed with some spackle? Or is the hole too large for that?

I have a similar problem, though smaller, in the living room:

enter image description here

What approach can I use for fixing this one?

  • 1
    FYI, what you see there is metal "corner bead". It provides the straight line to which plaster is applied, as well as support. It ends where you see the edge on the left in that hole.
    – isherwood
    Feb 28, 2022 at 13:55

1 Answer 1


Get some gypsum plaster from your home store. For the first picture, make sure the rest of the plaster there is sound, no cracks. If there are cracks, remove that portion. Then knock out the plaster in the holes in the metal support. You'll need that area cleared so the new plaster can sink in and grab hold. Then mix some plaster according to the package instruction and spread it in the hole with a trowel or drywall taping blade larger than the hole so you get a smooth surface. After letting it dry, sand and touch up if needed.

You can use some of the same plaster to fix the area shown in the second picture. Put some plaster on your trowel or blade and work from the corner to each side. When dry sand and touch up with more plaster if needed.

Add a stop to the door to prevent smashing the wall again.

  • 2
    The corner looks to be metal I would not suggest trying to remove that but just filling.
    – Ed Beal
    Jan 29, 2022 at 10:47
  • 2
    @ Yes, just fill in.
    – JACK
    Jan 29, 2022 at 12:52
  • You might find that the fixed and sanded patch is smoother than the surrounding wall and will show even when painted. If that bothers you, there are 'orange peel' mud texture sprays that can help.
    – JimmyJames
    Feb 28, 2022 at 15:22
  • 1
    In the first picture, I think JACK is indicating that the plaster in the holes in the metal should be knocked out so the new plaster can squeeze in and form a key to hold the new stuff in place. I don't think he's suggesting attempting to remove the metal corner bead.
    – FreeMan
    Feb 28, 2022 at 15:39
  • @FreeMan Right you are.
    – JACK
    Feb 28, 2022 at 17:54

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.