I noticed yesterday that my upstairs bathroom's toilet takes quite long to fill after flushing. That toilet is also constantly getting clogged; a source of endless drama when it comes time to plunge it. The actual bowl isn't overflowing, so it's not using as much water as it sounds like it is.
After taking the lid off and looking inside, it takes nearly three minutes for the water to stop flowing into the upper tank. When it does finally stop, the level is below a ring of deposits that runs around the tank (old house, original plumbing), leading me to believe it's also not filling as full as it used to. None of the other toilets in my house have deposits or scale build-up, so I'm uncertain why this one does.
Here's what I've tried so far, since I've really only been working on it since last night:
- Checking the valve to see if it was—somehow—partially closed. Even fully counter-clockwise, the flow rate doesn't improve.
- Raising the float to increase the water level. Nothing; I think it's partially waterlogged, but that shouldn't affect both the rate and and level, yes?
- Spraying the hose, tubing, and intake valve with CLR to possibly remove any internal buildup of minerals. I'm letting it sit overnight for now, but my earlier attempt didn't provoke any results.
- I read that there's a cover on top of the intake valve, and beneath that, the valve itself; that if your flow-rate is reduced, you should remove those and try to clean them. However, my toilet doesn't seem to have a removable cover on top. I'm not really even sure how the water exits, since it looks to just run down the float ball's piping from somewhere.
- I also checked the rubber seal at the bottom of the tank, and the tension and position of the lever arm as well, but neither of those had anything wrong with them, and fiddling with them didn't change anything.