I've seen these small round plastic inserts on swing/hammock hanging kits. Anyone know what they are called so that I can search where to buy them? Or perhaps what material they are typically made from in case it is possible to 3D print. Need to replace my broken ones and retrofit on other fittings.

Images below are from various hardware stores when searching for "swing hanging kit".

Image from here:

enter image description here

Image from here:

enter image description here

Image from here:

enter image description here

  • I presume these images are ones you grabbed from the internet? If so, A) please provide attribution for where you got the images, and B) what search terms did you use to find them?
    – FreeMan
    Jan 18, 2022 at 13:09
  • 2
    The plastic material is probably nylon type plastic.
    – crip659
    Jan 18, 2022 at 14:42
  • 2
    search bushing
    – jsotola
    Jan 18, 2022 at 17:00
  • 1
    @FreeMan Oops, I initially pasted the image URL directly from the retailer website, but it made a copy instead of a direct link. Added the attribution now. Jan 18, 2022 at 17:41
  • Middle one looks to be a slice of tubing.
    – Ecnerwal
    Jan 19, 2022 at 3:38

2 Answers 2


The function of the insert, in the cabling world, is to provide for a smooth transition on the cable wrapped around the outer diameter. It appears that this particular application may be a modified use of what is known as a thimble.

Using search terms "round plastic thimble" returns results that confirm the product shape, not necessarily the application:

round plastic thimble

Image from knotandrope.com website.

Other sites have similar images.

3D printing such an item may not be useful, as durability would be minimal, unless printed in nylon or similar material.

  • This is perfect! Various search combinations of "chain/rope/carabiner" + "plastic thimble" give me exactly what I am looking for. Jan 18, 2022 at 17:42

The name of this part is "bearing." In your case it is plastic, so it is called "plastic bearing."

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge that you have read and understand our privacy policy and code of conduct.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.