I have this new lamp that says it’s a convertible pendant lamp that can be used either as hardwired into the ceiling or just plugged into a wall socket. I just want to plug it into the wall socket, so what do I do with this grounding wire?

enter image description here


First, make sure the lamp is actually UL Listed (or ETL or CSA). We see a lot of cheap crud sourced from China (which is illegal to sell in retail stores; however a lot is mail-order or sold in fly-by-night informal shops or flea markets). We also see a few home-brew lamp builders who don't care about safety.

I am a bit surprised if UL would approve a separate ground wire like that; but if the UL mark is there on the fixture (not the socket, the fixture)... then OK.

ETL and CSA are valid substitutes for UL.

Beware usually-faked marks like CE, CCC, RoHS or FCC.

If UL approved it, they approved instructions also. Always follow the instructions. (NEC 110.3)

However I would expect the ground lug to be attached to the socket's cover plate screw. (why aren't they using a 3-prong receptacle???)

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.