The hot water in my shower leaks and I'm trying to remove the stem but I don't see a hexagon type nut to unscrew.

Tap / Faucet insert attached to pipe

2 Answers 2


You should still be able to unscrew that inner unit. Use mole grips or similar just before the brass thread.

There appears to be a notch in the brass ring, there is probably a specific tool to engage in that to turn it.

This is a similar unit, but it does have a hexagonal nut. If you get the unit out, replace it with a new one.

Typical tap / faucet inner unit

  • When you refer to "inner unit" are you referring to the dark part just before the brass? I'm unscrewing the dark part and not the brass, correct?
    – Dani
    Jan 5 at 20:55
  • Not just the dark part, the brass too. I've added an image to the answer of a typical replacement unit.
    – Chenmunka
    Jan 5 at 21:16
  • Thank you. I will try to remove it with wrench similar to the mole grip.
    – Dani
    Jan 5 at 22:37
  • Is there a brand or model number I should look for as the replacement? Thanks
    – Dani
    Jan 6 at 0:57
  • @Dani: Impossible to say from a picture. They come in different sizes. Either measure it carefully and search online (I did this) or take the dead one to a builders merchant and see what they have.
    – Chenmunka
    Jan 6 at 8:39

There are flats on the valve body. There's one visible here, and there will be another on the opposing side. Use an adjustable wrench, sliplock plier, or other similar tool.

enter image description here

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.